Amazing insight from research done by the e-tailing group who surveyed 2000+ online shoppers & conducted [...]
Chatworks because like your visitors - We want to Chat!.
We welcome your visitors, engage, and start conversations.
You would not have an empty reception desk, showroom, or a telephone that is not manned for long periods of time. If you did, you can imagine your visitors would hang up or walk out right? Well online they do the same; shoppers and researchers are looking for personal attention, quick access to information and exceptional service. Research shows that now days, people start most research online. Only between 1-5% will make contact during their search, we service the other 95% to drive the value to your business.